Tuesday, August 28, 2007

28th August 07

Hey Mark,

I've just spent three days in the Krkonoshe mountains on the Czech border with Poland. Sour, fresh blueberries, Krkonoshe beer and, for some reason, ultra-expensive mohitos. Every town the coach drove through en route was more beautiful than Mlada Boleslav, the factory town in which I am stationed.

I had an hour in Jicin, for example. While waiting for my bus, I sat in the square enjoying the sun and a beer, ate a cheeseburger in a bun as big as a baseball glove, visited a church, watched some boys flirt with some vietnamese girls, saw a guy in electric blue suit, bearded in shades, who was either mad or a genius. In short, it was alive. The only time most of my students get animated is to proclaim melodramatically 'This town is dead!'

I did approach IH Bratislava and was offered a job, but it was very low salaried. After investigation I had to turn them down. Poland is a new start, new culture.

This country seems ever-more beautiful now I'm leaving. Daily lunch-time menus with three options - goulash and knedlicky a mainstay on each of them - for 69 crowns, including starter of soup.

In Vrklabi I sat in a 'bistro'. It was the equivalent of a Polish milk bar: dirt-cheap food, beer at half eleven, view onto the street. Other people joining your table. I had a walk around the cemetery (Franz Schubert was buried there. I need to check if it was the Franz Schubert.) A really beautiful, unspoilt town. All the 19th century graves seemed to be crumbling, perhaps because of the cold air of the mountain. The temperatures fluctuate wildly: cold in the morning, baking by the afternoon. A fine-needled machine in the high street records air temperature and humidity.

Do you remember Steve, the Fall fan from my housewarming? He's arriving in Poland the day I start teaching. That should muddy the waters nicely with my new flatmate, a friend of the principal.

I'm trying to cram in everything I can before I leave on 14th Sept. A Slovakian double wedding on Friday. Then I hope to visit a Czech student - my first ever student - at the weekend. Next week another trip into the countryside. The last weekend a music / puppetry festival in Jicin.

I'm dreaming of my annual family curry (with my sister, parents and Carrie) in London on 18th Dec. Then we're off to Illinois for a family christmas.

So, I hope you're doing well.

Is Sara back? Everyone okay in my 'real' family?

Take care,

Matt


31 12 7

I was suddenly bareheaded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home